Who We Are
Our storied history began in 1929 when we first opened as the Travelers Aid Society to assist travelers who found themselves stranded in our community. Thus began our roots in helping individuals obtain housing. Our name change to Community Link in 1995 reflected our decades of growth and deepening of services around being that “link” for people to find and keep housing.
Today, our mission is to enable individuals and families to obtain and sustain safe, decent and affordable housing.
Driven By Five Key Factors
- Housing for our workforce is not affordable for all.
Forty percent of our local workforce cannot afford safe and decent housing, meaning they are forced to spend more than a third of their income on housing. Annually, rental rates are increasing at a much higher percentage than wages. Additionally, individuals earning “moderate incomes” who are successful renters find themselves challenged to buy a home given barriers to saving appropriately for a down payment.
- For many years we have assisted those experiencing economic hardship in finding and keeping housing.
We’ve long been a pioneer in implementing housing services in this community, starting in 1929. More than 300 property providers, dozens of realtors and lenders, and down payment assistance/mortgage relief resources now make up our solid network of collaborative partners.
Important to the equation is linking individuals to housing that is safe, decent, and affordable.
- We are unique in that we focus on the workforce and encompass all aspects of housing.
Most of our services are designed for low-to-moderate income wage earners. Our housing programs are comprehensive in that they include homeless services, homeownership, and financial literacy programs.
- Education is our foundation for providing long-term solutions to empower individuals to become self-sufficient in their housing.
Education and individualized counseling build the confidence of our customers and positively change behaviors that lead to self-sufficiency. The housing obtained by our customers becomes their permanent housing!
- We connect our customers to a variety of resources to help them achieve stable housing.
We believe that there is not a one-size-fits-all solution. Individuals, families, veterans, those with disabilities, etc. all have varied needs. Our individualized services ensure connections and referrals to appropriate resources to further ensure housing stability.
- Excellence: We will strive for excellence in everything we do.
- Compassion: We will conduct ourselves in a caring and compassionate manner.
- Inclusion: We will provide a supportive environment that respects the knowledge, abilities and experiences of all individuals.
- Customers: We will be committed to serving the needs of our customers and believe that everyone deserves a safe, decent and affordable place to live.
- Employees: We will provide an environment for our employees that fosters professional growth and personal development.
- Investors: We will be effective stewards of our resources.